Christmas in Ocean City - 2018
I get asked all the time what there is to do in Ocean City, MD when the temperatures cool down. The off-season and especially the holidays are some of the best times to enjoy this beautiful beach community. Below are the top eleven things that my family and I like to do during the holidays in Ocean City and the surrounding areas.
1. Check out a local Christmas parade. Mark your calendars for Saturday, December 1st for the Ocean City Christmas parade! The parade will start at 11am on Old Landing Rd. and march northbound to 120th street. The event will feature more than 50 units, including high school bands, horses, antique cars, colorful holiday floats, and more. Continue the parade fun later in the week at the Berlin Christmas parade, scheduled for Thursday, December 6th at 7pm. The Berlin Christmas parade, celebrating its 150th anniversary, will bring the town of Berlin to life and light as floats, bands, firetrucks, and more parade down Main Street.
2. Support a good cause. Christmas and the holiday season in general is a time when most people’s thoughts turn to giving. And thankfully, Ocean City has no shortage of charitable events to take part in. Whether it’s as small as donating canned goods to Diakonia for their annual food drive, or as big as taking a plunge in the ocean on New Year’s Day to support our not-for-profit community hospital, there are many ways to give back at the holidays and have fun while doing so.
3. Light up your night. Each winter, Northside Park transforms into a magical winter wonderland with its annual Winterfest of Lights. This award-winning light display includes a trolley ride through Northside Park with over one million Christmas bulbs and music to go along with it! Open every evening from November 15th – December 31st from 5:30pm-9:30pm.
4. Be amazed at Wonderfest. Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday in late November and throughout December, Schell Brothers opens up their Christmas Village at the Cape May Lewes Ferry parking lot. Enjoy ice skating, photo ops with Santa and Mrs. Claus, rides, live music and an incredible Christmas Village designed and built by the employees at Schell Brothers. For tickets and more information, visit the WonderFEST website.
5. Watch an old (or new!) Christmas movie. On December 5th at 7pm, enjoy the classic movie, A Christmas Story while lounging in the recliners at Sun & Surf on 143rd street in Ocean City, MD. Or if you’d rather see a new Christmas movie, Dr. Seuss’ the Grinch has viewings every day and night.
6. Skate around the ice skating rink at the Carousel. The Carousel hotel on 117th street features an indoor ice skating rink open year round much to the delight of hotel guests, tourists, and locals alike. Bring your own skates or rent them. Open Sundays 9am-9pm, Monday-Tuesday 4pm-9pm and Wednesday-Saturday 10am-10pm.
7. Ride the Polar Express at the Salted Rim. All aboard for the Polar Express dinner and movie at the Salted Rim in Ocean View, DE! Hop aboard an authentic train car decorated for Christmas while enjoying a buffet breakfast or dinner and watching the Polar Express. During the movie, Santa’s Elves will serve hot chocolate and cookies and Santa will make an appearance with presents for all the little ones.
8. Watch a performance of the Nutcracker at the Ocean City Performing Arts. This state-of-the-art theater in our backyard offers an intimate setting for concerts, musicals, dance performances and more. This year, the Sussex Performing Arts presents the quintessential holiday performance, the Nutcracker on December 16th at 1pm and 5pm.
9. Have breakfast with Santa. Many area restaurants including Harpoon Hannas, Ropewalk Ocean City and Pickles Pub offer special themed breakfasts with Santa throughout the month of December.
10. Take a free carriage ride through the town of Berlin. Every year, the Town of Berlin offers free carriage rides through beautiful downtown Berlin. Offered Saturdays and Sundays 11am-3pm throughout December.
11. Ring in the New Year in Ocean City. Celebrate the end of 2018 and the beginning of the New Year with free events all day long in Ocean City! Start with a special New Year’s Day Concert at the Ocean City Performing Arts Center. Later, take in a free fireworks display at Northside Park. The fireworks begin at midnight and will be accompanied by live entertainment, warm hot chocolate and the opportunity to ride through the Winterfest of Lights.
I hope you enjoy these holiday events in Ocean City, MD. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Post a Comment